08 October 2008

an open letter to my no-longer-favorite airline

Dear Northwest Airlines,

I was shocked to discover, upon investigating your website, that you now charge for checked luggage. I was aware that some airlines have started to do so, but disappointed that you have joined them. Furthermore, you offer the following in the FAQs:

...

1. Why is Northwest changing its luggage policy and charging for each piece of checked luggage for travel in North America?

Northwest is better aligning its costs to transport luggage for each passenger.

...

Are you kidding me? This is the most ridiculous nonsensical sentence I've ever read. It has no meaning, other than, "we love screwing people over." (No, really, read it again. It has no meaning. I HATE it when people think that big words substitute for meaning.) I have been an increasingly frustrated customer for the last several years - I used to love you, and then I didn't love you anymore, and now I sort of despise you. Today, I am already irate, and I haven't even gotten on my flight yet. I remind myself once again that you are teetering on the edge of being an airline I swear never to fly again.

(American Airlines! Remember me? I swore off you after flights to/from Jamaica in which the bathrooms had pee dribbling out the door on ALL THREE PLANES and we had no time to make our connection in Miami and I almost died of hunger because I didn't have exact-change-only-please-$5 for a snack box? Remember how I hate you and will never fly you again? I do not miss you!)

(Kenya Airways! I miss you! I miss those delicious wheat rolls you serve for breakfast and the way the flight attendants smile at me and don't act like they hate me for existing. Also those lovely red and green blankets that I've never stolen because I want you to stay in business but I want one so. badly. Northwest could learn something from you. I have never felt like flight attendants so resented my existence - any passenger's existence - until my last few flights on Northwest.)

So, NWA, we are on shaky ground. Someday soon, I am going to get a well-paying lawyerly job and you know what? I will pay extra to avoid you. I'd rather ride the city bus belching exhaust all the way across the country than be treated like utter scum as your employees treat all customers.

Why is it that health insurance companies and airlines are the two industries that get away with treating their customers as if they hate us, as if the money we pay is not quite good enough to earn us customer service?

Sincerely,

A (former) (unappreciated) Passenger

No comments: