29 September 2008

furthermore

Is it technically illegal to drive on the wrong side of those double lines? Because I drove back through the mountains yesterday, and what feels right to me, when driving through mountains (thank you, Rwanda) is to take the inside of the curve, as long as I can do so without crashing into an oncoming car. Handily, this also requires less movement of the steering wheel. But it occurred to me that those double solid lines are there for a reason and law enforcement might look unkindly on my crossing them so as to improve my curve-taking.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, actually, it is illegal, which I discovered to my advantage last fall when I was in a car accident. I was turning left out of an alley, and the oncoming car stopped to let me out, and this twit behind that car tried to pass it, hitting me just as I pulled into the other lane. The cop was about to give me a ticket until I pointed out the other driver had crossed double yellow lines in her attempt to pass. So yay.

But I don't think anyone's going to bother you about it unless you get into an accident. A mountain pass, though, might not be the place to find out.