22 April 2008

random segue into a travelogue

Cheap thrills, people. I'm all about the cheap thrills right now. I expended all my money and more going to Ethiopia. (Hi, Mom and Dad! I have not forgotten the $1000 I owe you! Happy Birthday, Mom!) Currently, I am relegated to tea on the couch as a happening Tuesday evening activity. Total cost: approximately 9 cents. This is fun! Come to think of it, it's still better than last week's Tuesday evening activity: the joyous doing of the taxes. One good thing I have to say about having a real live 8-5 job is that when it's over, it's over. I can come home and watch Jon & Kate Plus Eight (WHAT? YOU KNOW YOU DO THAT, TOO. Or you wish you could) and go to bed. Technically, I should be doing the elliptical at night, but I work in a building with seven floors, any of which I might have to be on at any time, and I refuse to take the elevator, so if I don't feel like the elliptical of an evening, well, shoot me. Plus I do all those stairs in heels, which I think gets me extra stair-climbing points. Or something.

Actually, sitting and drinking tea is not that fundamentally different from what I prefer to do anywhere in the world. When I was in Ethiopia? Basically all I did was wander around looking for the nearest place to sit and drink a macchiato. The guidebook was all, "Awassa is great! You can see hippos! And other cool things!" and I walked along the lake and then I was tired and I got a drink and sat by the water with my drink, until a bird poo'd on me, mostly missing me, and then I got fed up with the lake and walked into town until I found a cafe, and then I drank a macchiato and ate cake. For lunch. I talked to the hippo boat people, but they wanted $15 for the ride, even though there were already four people in the boat, and they would not bargain, and I have seen hippos before, hippos galore, so I sat and drank my Sprite instead. And then my macchiato. And that cake. And possibly ate some ice cream. That part of the gorging is all a little vague.

Here is a photo of a macchiato:


Man, those things are delicious. Also, one of the best things about Ethiopia is that every tiny little town has an espresso machine and can produce these delicious little delicacies (am I repeating myself here?). This particular macchiato was not in Awassa, however, even though Awassa was my favorite town in Ethiopia. It was in Gorgora, a little town on the north shore of Lake Tana, for those in the know and to whom the phrase "north shore of Lake Tana" has any meaning.

In addition to seeking out coffee, I sought out juice. It's sort of embarrassing how much of my time in Ethiopia I spent in cafes, but I shall excuse it by claiming that this is the best way to see a country, like, a country for reals. Not just the tourist part. This is pineapple juice. Pineapple juice is often, if good and fresh, a little too sweet. In Gonder, though, the cafe I liked best would give me a lime or lemon to squeeze into it. Serious, serious bliss.


And, just for fun, here is a picture of MY BUTT. I know, very juvenile. But I don't post face pictures here, so what is left?


That's in Gonder. Castles, etc.

(P.S. Ethiopia pictures are up on facebook. Fie-nail-ee.)

1 comment:

Traci said...

that coffee looks delicious. pineapple is my favorite fruit (tied w/mango) it would be fun to hang out in a cafe in africa with you. how are you??