08 February 2008

catching the sugar high

I am barely keeping my head above water, here. There are dishes in the sink and clothes on the floor and papers on the couch and emails in the inbox and blogs on the bloglines and messages in the phone and bills in the mailbox and today I left the house at 8:15 a.m. and got back at 9:00 p.m., in a state of such mental exhaustion that I made several phone calls that could probably have been mistaken for drunk dialing.

"Yeah, so... hi. I'm sorry I didn't return your call earlier, but I was stuck in, I don't even know, 8 hours of class yesterday and 8 hours the day before and, oh, yeah, 8 hours today, too, and I had meetings in the morning and I don't even know what day it is, but I think tomorrow... yeah, maybe tomorrow would be good to hang out. Or Sunday, if tomorrow is Saturday like I think it is. Oh, no, I have a dinner thing on Sunday. So Saturday, whenever that is, except whenever Saturday is, I need to study during the day. Give me a call."

Someone needs to take the phone away from me when I'm like this.

But! I have revived enough to write a blog post, thanks to a rapid intake of two ice cream bonbons, one of which I dropped on a kitchen floor that has not been mopped in an embarrassingly long time (I've been busy, clearly), and I did the logical thing, of course, which is pick it up and eat it. I didn't even bother inspecting it. Why inspect? I knew I was going to eat it. I needed it, for the sugar. And I don't have time to go to Trader Joe's to buy more bonbons, so they must be conserved. And now enough sugar has now hit my brain that I might make sense. For a moment or two.

I was speaking to a lawyer today who said, "I have some advice. First, pass the bar exam."

That's the goal. In three long weeks, it will all be over and I can pack for Ethiopia. For now, I'm expecting relatively frequent delirium, tinged with nightmares about contributory negligence and parol evidence.

No comments: