20 August 2007

still hanging around

Some things I am very, very over:
  1. mosquito nets. Sure, when I first used one again in Nicaragua after 9 years in the US, it was exciting. I was nostalgic for the mosquito net days of Liberia, and I had romantic visions of lantern light shining through the netting. Now they are annoying. They block the breeze, first of all, and then they get in your face when you are trying to sleep. Especially the ones that hang from a big ring on one hook rather than from the four corners. I wouldn't even use one except mosquitoes buzzing around your head while you are trying to sleep? Even more annoying than the net. Although, with the round-topped ones, they never close all the way and the mosquitoes get in anyway. Which one did last night.
  2. avoiding "Western" places. Like Java House. I love Java House. I love Java House largely because of my memories of going to it during regional meetings when I was living in Rwanda, which has coffee in abundance, but very little good coffee stays in the country. Java House was a delicious treat (with BAGELS!). Yesterday I walked to Java House (it took about half an hour) and then sat and read a book and drank passion fruit juice and an iced coffee. And ate a waffle, the way I used to when I was a kid (eating all the edges until all that's left is a sixteen-hole square in the middle, and then eating that in four bites of four holes each). And then I walked back to where I am staying. I feel sort of weird about mentioning my love of Java House, because a week or two ago, a blogger I read was complaining about the expats who go to Uganda and all they want to talk about is the new restaurant at Garden City (aka. THE MALL). And I have my own issues with such expats, because why didn't they just stay in the West, if that's what they are here for? But really, I feel no need to prove my Africa credentials, nor do I feel a need to avoid the Western-style coffee shop. Every now and again, you just need some good coffee. Trust me, Kenyans in the US are getting together for ugali every now and then.
  3. my fear of jogging in public. I used to have one, which is why I didn't start jogging until I lived in a little tiny town in Rwanda, and then only down the deserted peninsula at twilight. But yesterday I went ahead and jogged in Nairobi. I'm not going to say that I didn't get stared at, because I did. And laughed at. And commented on. But then a little three-wheeled car drove past me, and then another, and I realized that while a mzungu jogging is funny, so are other things. Why not brighten people's days? Everyone needs some amusement. Jogging is harder here than in Michigan, though, what with the altitude and the hills (we have neither in Michigan).
  4. sitting around Nairobi. With no internet, no car, no money, and no friends (I was supposed to meet someone, but she's abandoned me for Uganda, and the other two people I emailed are not in town), I passed a very boring weekend. But I got more pages put in my passport today, so I am all ready to go.
  5. jetlag.
But even though the weekend was long and I wished for something to do, it was good to sit on the patio and watch the clouds pass in the blue sky, to explore the neighborhood where I'm staying, to smile at the little girl selling roasted corn, to watch the girl at the corner duka startle when she turned and saw a weird whitey standing at her little window. Already my Big Life Change plans are starting to waiver, in favor of staying in Africa.

No comments: