30 August 2007

escape from the compound

I know, I know. Here I am in the middle of nowhere, how can I not have time to update the blog? But internet depends on electricity, which depends on solar power, which depends on the sun actually shining. So here I am, typing frantically in the dark.

I finally got to leave the compound today (we've been mudded in) and see some beautiful swampland. I sound sarcastic because swampland? - but it really is beautiful, all green and lush and, well, watery. I attended a training that was lively and full of people willing to defend their positions. In the evening, I walked along the airstrip and was met by some Ugandans, aka the world's most hospitable people, who insisted on walking with me, to their compound where they gave me a seat and were very concerned that tea was taking so long, and then all the way back to my gate, which was where they had come from in the first place.

I have not resigned myself to the pit latrine, but it's much more tolerable when I can also see some of the beauty of the country.

Photos to come the next time I have internet... I'm being gnawed by mosquitoes and I'm starving (lentils and rice for lunch was a long time ago), so they'll have to wait. But I'm alive! So far no snakes!

No comments: