17 July 2007

spot o' tea

Every Sunday night, my mom goes over to her mom's house, my Oma, for tea and to pick up the Sunday newspaper (we get it every day but Sunday, I'm not sure why). When I'm home, I usually go along, and by the time we get in the door, Oma has put the kettle on for tea. Lately, Mom and Oma sit at the table while I get the nice china cups out of the cabinet and proceed to try to make three cups of tea out of two teabags. It's generally something like: pour water over teabags into two of the cups; take out one teabag and put it in cup 3; pour water into cup 3; take teabag from other cup and add it to cup 3. Then we drink tea and talk about all the news from church. Who is going off to be a missionary in foreign lands? Who was sick and couldn't make it? Also, what are my cousins doing?

Two nights ago, I missed the Sunday night tea because I was fetching my dad from where we had left the boat trailer when, on the way home from boating, it nearly lost a wheel. There was a horrible clanking noise that kept coming and going after several stops to investigate and then oops! Wheel wobbling about four inches. We stopped, and the guy across the street came up to help us (boozy breath and cigarette and all) and we parked the boat in his yard and went to get parts (bearings) and left my dad to put things together while we went back for the other car. (Side note: this guy used my phone for a minute, which then smelled like cigarette smoke so badly that I had to air it out by holding it open out the window of the van while driving 60 down a country road. Don't worry, I wrapped its little string thing around my hand.) So my mom went to Oma's and I went to pick up Dad, where we discovered that the part was wrong. Anyway, that's why I didn't go to Oma's.

Last night, I was tired and wound up and wanted to watch some tv, which I never do because we get approximately 4 channels, three of them fuzzily, so I made some of the very same kind of tea that we always have at Oma's. But! It was just me, so I made it full strength. Turns out it's pretty good tea. I didn't really notice before in its weakened state.

Then I ADD-ishly flipped channels for thirty minutes before giving up on tv all together and going off to bed.

1 comment:

traci said...

why not use 3 tea bags?