08 July 2007

boating

It's hot. Prairie hot. The wind blows dry hot air across the not-prairie of Michigan. In the shade, with the breeze, if one did not move, it might be okay, but the thermometer on our front porch reads 101 degrees. That may not be quite right (we suspect this thermometer of exaggeration), but let's just say that it's hot in Michigan right now.

Yesterday my brother and sister-in-law and I took the boat out on a lake. (I know! The boat!) This boat just randomly appeared a few days ago - it was in the driveway when I got back from Detroit. It's a long story involving a guy who used to work for my uncle and my uncle and my brother and his friend and my brother again and my dad all having owned the boat at various times, but now after years of disuse, it is registered and loaded up and in our driveway. So we went out on a lake and parked on a sandbar and swimmed a bit and ate too many Pringles, as one does on a lake. On the way back from the sandbar, my brother showed me how to drive it so that next time he can go tubing while I drive.

Boat driving is harder than it looks. There aren't any roads, so it's all random and things can come at you from any direction. You have to assume the other drivers are sane, which they might not be, especially with the drunkenness factor. I was driving and saw three parked boats and a moving one ahead of us, in the direction we needed to go, and said to my brother, "There are three boats! Which way should I go?"

"Ah..." he said, "any way you want. Just don't hit one."

Right. I knew that. Yes, I am (used to be, at least) blond.

No comments: