13 April 2006

the wonderment

On the drama: I'm basically over it.

I met with J and C tonight, the other two who are probably going to Liberia as well. And I started getting excited. Really excited. We were looking on the Liberian Embassy website for the visa requirements. Well, J was looking them up and I was trying not to hyperventilate with excitement and C was laughing at me.

One of the Liberia blogs I read had a post today about life in Sanniquellie, and I found myself thinking what I always think, which is that Liberia looks and sounds just exactly like the rest of Africa, which I have a hard time reconciling with the unique place that Liberia has in my life and family. Not only do I have all those years of life in Liberia, but I hear stories about those years and not all of them are as positive as my experience of Africa (both the Liberia years and the Rwanda years). Okay, that didn't make sense. What I'm trying to say is that the stories of Liberia in my family are not as positive as my memories of Liberia or as my experiences in Africa as an adult. Is that better? I have a hard time knowing which of my Liberia expectations are mine and which are inherited. Guess I'll find out.

No comments: