08 January 2006

lovely little day

The sun persists in shining here in New York. I woke up this morning and it seemed cloudy but then I woke up again a bit later and I couldn't find a cloud 'though I tried. Sunshine! I didn't even know how I missed it until my plane took off in MI and we broke through the clouds and the sun was shining full in my face and I put my face against the window and closed my eyes and soaked it in.

I have read my assignments for tomorrow, which I consider a grand achievement seldom accomplished.

These two couples were sitting near me in the cafe and I could not but listen to them because they were talking SO LOUDLY and by the time they finished and left I wanted to scream or say something bitter to them, for several reasons.

First, one of the guys was born in South Africa and the girl from the other couple kept asking him about it but he never got to answer because his wife answered. EVERY TIME. Even though she admitted that she's never been there.

Second, the girl asking all the questions followed them up with a description of how her friend or cousin or someone went to Africa and PETTED BABY TIGERS. Why did this irritate me so much? Because there are no tigers in Africa. They live in India. Not Africa. A whole different continent.

Third, the same girl insulted Liberia, saying that her uncle used to work there (mining diamonds - had to have been illegal because obviously during the war from context) and it is "the most pathetic place on earth" according to her.

Fourth, they got into an argument about whether or not a hospital will let you die if you are an organ donor. What emergency room doctor is looking at incoming patients thinking, "Maybe my buddy Joe in surgery needs a liver from someone with this blood type?" I love conspiracy theories, but really. It's just not logical. Doctors do not work in emergency rooms to strategically let people die unless they are secretly involved in a black market something and then they will let you die even if you aren't officially an organ donor. So get over it and donate your organs.

But in other news, I went for a lovely walk in the park in the sunlight. And I'm wearing my mzungu shirt that I bought at a stall at the Equator in Uganda. So I'm happy.

Here's a photo of me and my friend Sara at the Equator in Uganda:

[removed]

No comments: