29 November 2005

a little story of incoherence

I woke up with a start in the middle of the night - it was dark - to a very loud crash, very loud because my window was open, and because I was so very much still asleep, I irrationally thought that my building was tipping over. Tipping over like a tree falling, that is, all in one piece but just falling sideways. Anyone who has seen my building would know that this is impossible. It's only six stories tall and, while it isn't that wide, it is certainly more squat than, say, the Empire State Building. It's just not tall enough to tip over sideways. It's like a fat bush deciding to tip over. It just doesn't work. So I incoherently stood on my bed to reach the top of the window, since it was open top-down (it was open because it was too warm in the apartment with it closed since my roommate insists on having the heat on all the time, even when it is 60 degrees outside), and then tumbled back down onto the pillows. The force of the fall woke me up enough to think, "I just thought the building was falling over, but it can't."

No comments: