10 October 2005

yay!

I just talked to someone who just moved to New York and wants a roommate and loves this area and we are meeting tomorrow to see if we could stand each other. I may be back in non-horrible commuting distance before the end of the month. I feel bad about leaving Corinne, but I can't afford to eat in town every day. I want to take naps in my own apartment if I have a long afternoon break. I want to drink tea at home. Tea, I tell you. I want to drink tea. I love tea and I love drinking it and I never get to drink it in my own house because I don't get back to my own house until after 10 pm every night and anyway it doesn't feel like my own house because every part of it is decorated and taken over by her stuff. I have one corner of the bathtub. One of four. And there's a wire shelving thing, but I have no space on it. I have no space on the sink. My dishes don't fit in the cupboard. My food is in my closet because it also has no cupboard space. Worst of all, the cats believe that my room is a passageway to the back yard and if either the door to the kitchen or the door to the back yard is open, they come through and stand by the unopened door, waiting for me to come open it. Once at morning breakfast time I just didn't open the door for one of them until Corinne started knocking repeatedly and asked if the cat was there. I like cats, but not that much. Not enough to stop whatever I'm doing and leap up to open doors for them.

But I do love my loft and the neighborhood. I just hate everything in the world at that moment each evening at 9:30 pm when I'm leaving school and know that I have perhaps 40 minutes of subway and walking in front of me before I can go to sleep. Mostly subway. The walking, in the cool night air, is nice, but the minority of the trip.

I hate moving. I hate leaving a place. I'm tired of doing it over and over these last few years. I don't want to do it again. Yet I know that I will be glad to have done it the first night I leave school and go home within 10 minutes and I'm asleep within half an hour. I remember with longing all the extra time I had when I could do things around school, go home for dinner and back to studying, and then suddenly leave studying and go to bed. No commute. I think I've said this a few times, but I hate the commute. I hate it. I HATE IT.

No comments: