14 October 2005

moving yet again

This week:

Monday - sent an email to the friend of a law student who had emailed around saying that his friend needed a place to live in Manhattan.

Tuesday - met the friend. Friend and I visited one very icky little apartment that had ceilings exactly 6 feet high. She is 6'1". I am 5'10". Six foot ceilings did not sound appealing.

Wednesday - friend and I looked at two more apartments and she looked at a third alone. The third was perfect and we filled out applications. I bullied the brokers into reducing their commission to $600 less than than the standard.

Thursday - application accepted (thanks to the driving rain, we had no competition).

Friday - we sign a lease. We get keys. We move in.

This all happened startlingly quickly. I only told my previous landlady this morning that I was moving out. I didn't expect to have the keys and be sleeping in the new place already tonight. But I have a new address. And this one, because I'm on the lease, is mine for a year. Plus 17 days (so the lease ends at the end of October 2006).

Welcome home, self.

No comments: