25 October 2005

evil cars

This weekend, when my mom was here, she kept asking about the cars, which are obstinately making turns across your path before and behind when you are crossing with the white "walk" light. I made light of them and said that they were mostly taxis and have to watch out for you because it would be such a problem for them if they hit you.

Yesterday, I dropped her off at the airport (the M60 bus is a horrible thing) and moved some stuff from my old place to my new and went to school for a while to read my assignments for today. On the way home it was raining (as I mentioned last night), so I stopped at the drugstore and bought a wasted umbrella, because I had one at home, but my newspapers held over my head weren't going to make it all the way home. They were beginning to disintegrate.

As I crossed the scary corner, the one where you think cars are coming straight at you, with the light on my side, I noticed a car making a left-turn right at me. I skipped forward a few steps to get out of its way, but it turned more sharply and continued straight at me. I had to hop forward a few more steps and barely made it out of the car's way - the side of it brushed against me. Like any good African, I thumped twice on the hood of the car and flung up my hands in frustration at the scared white little face of the girl driving the car.

Then I reached the sidewalk and started shaking.

No comments: