02 September 2005

no more africa

I'm back in new york, sitting in class. It's not the adventure that was sitting for days in Nairobi without a plane to get on. It's not the adventure of trying Rwanda's mini-buses for the first time. It's not the adventure of arriving in Tanzania with no idea of where I would stay that night. Although, I guess, it did start with something like the same adventure: I arrived at Newark Airport with no idea of where I would stay that night.

I have nowhere to live. This means I have a lot of work to do (other than school) before I feel like I'm really back.

Right now, I'm staying on my old roommate Stephanie's pullout couch. I didn't sleep very well the first night - classes the next day, it was really hot, and there are all these trucks roaring up and down their road at night. So I have been jet-lagged like never before. By 5 pm, I'm drooping. By 7 pm, it's all over. I can't study. I can't think. I need to sleep, but if you sleep at 7 pm, you wake up at some ridiculous early hour.

So I've been staying up until 11, then getting up at 7... not enough sleep when I am mad jetlagged. Finally last night, wearing ear plugs (I've never before slept wearing earplugs - it's weird) I managed to sleep - and oversleep. I almost missed my first human rights class. But I feel better. Of course, it's morning and I always feel fine in the morning - it's daytime in Nairobi right now, too.

No comments: