22 September 2005

cravings

I'm sitting calmly in class, "taking notes" (ie. blogging) and for some reason an overwhelming craving for a donut has come over me. I don't eat donuts. I can't remember the last time I had a donut. I don't like donuts. I don't even know where I'd buy a donut. But for some reason I really want one of those glazed, poufy ones.

Yesterday I went shopping. Not very remarkable, because all I needed was a brush, conditioner, some tea... you know, basic stuff. But I was so excited about it. It was so wonderful to shop and be able to buy the stuff I need without thinking to myself, "My bank account is now down to about $15." I've never actually had as little money as I had last week. Well, okay, I still have no money (or negative about $1 billion from all those loans), but at least now I can eat. When I got home I drank comfort tea from Aveda while I read conventions prohibiting the use of explosive projectiles.

I also started babysitting for my lawyering professor from last year. Her kids are adorable. And having kids with you makes people in New York so much nicer. People open doors for you. They coo and compliment the kids. They let you go ahead of them in line. They even (sometimes) smile. It's crazy.

One final life-at-this-moment story: the kids had sandwiches yesterday, but I was dizzy with hunger (my internal hunger-regulating mechanism is a bit faulty - I never feel hungry until I'm so hungry I could fall over). So I stopped at a cart on the street that sold Afghan Halal food and I got a falafel and rice plate from a nice man who called me "honey" and wore a hairnet over his beard, looped up around his ears. Sometimes I love New York.

No comments: