13 July 2005

my head is stuck in the trunk

we went shopping over lunch - to grocery stores and i bought a book. as we were leaving shoprite, we were a bit late, so we decided to take a taxi. with four of us, it's not expensive. we hailed one i've used before, an ancient peugeot that lives in the parking lot of shoprite. he opened the boot (with a screwdriver) so we could pile in all our bags, but the car started rolling forward, so he let go of the trunk lid and ran back to the front of the car. the very heavy lid of the trunk landed on my head and pinned me in place. i started saying "help! help!" in a pathetic voice, because it didn't occur to me that i could put my hands up and lift the lid. maybe my hands were still in the handles of the bags i was putting in the trunk. i don't remember. IE called the driver, who came running back to lift the trunk off me, but then realized that the car was still rolling and turned and ran back to the front.

my head was wedged under the lid as the car was rolling forward. finally IE lifted the lid off of me just as the driver got the car to stop.

"my head was stuck in the trunk!" i said. "and the car was moving!"

1 comment:

traci said...

i love this story -- and you.