20 June 2005

illness update

just as an addition, for those of you who were alarmed, i did get a hold of Tekle and got a beautiful 7 days worth of amoxycillin. how i do love antibiotics. i feel alarmingly better.

side note: the amoxycillin is made here in Tanzania. I've had some interesting "discussions" recently with this guy (student from another top five law school that shall remain unnamed lest he should reflect badly on it) who is working for a consulting firm here in arusha. he is convinced (based on his now three weeks in Tanzania) that this country will never amount to anything because the people are too lazy and corrupt. He accused me of a "softened bigotry" - ie. lowered standards for Africa, when I said that I thought there was hope and that there is a great deal of pragmatism to some of the corruption (not that I like it, but that there are reasons). Then again, he also accused me of being an Africa snob when I said that maybe it might be better to wait for more than two weeks of being in Africa to decide if there is hope here or not. Anyway, my opinion is, how can you not have hope for a country that makes its own antibiotics AND pasta?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi
I appreciate your thoughtfulness about complex issues, and love comments like: "how can you not have hope for a country that makes its own antibiotics AND pasta?" Great. Hope the coming months go well.