06 June 2005

home sweet home

My bedroom in our suburban mansion in Arusha already seems to me like the world's most restful place. My case is in court from 2:30 to 6:30 pm every day, which means a ten hour day at work plus an hour-long commute (traffic coming into the city is horrible - tomorrow morning they say they will pick us up at 7:20). It is bliss to retreat to my four-postered, mosquito-net-canopied bed.

When I lived in Rwanda, I had a car and I was always in a hurry. Here, no car. I've taken more mini-buses here in one week than I did in Rwanda in two years. (They are called dalla-dallas here and our stop is the World Vision shusha - also known as Radio Tanzania Road.) And I'm still in a hurry what with the twelve hours a day of work-related business, but some things just have to wait, like butter knives and more hangers. Some things just cannot wait, like a blanket (the first night in our new house was a freezing misery). Also, for me, tea and a pot to heat water in.

So, we're settling in. I had 2 toasts for breakfast, one with cheese and one with chocolate flakes, and vanilla tea. Life is mundane but most enjoyable.

No comments: