14 June 2011

ninja or not

Because kung fu is not as easy as fighting class, and because fighting class is mostly boxing and low kicks, I rarely feel like a ninja.

Come to think of it, I don't actually even know what a ninja is. Is kung fu generally associated with real ninjas? (Answer, according to wikipedia, source of all knowledge: No.)

So being a ninja is altogether out, then, since I am doing a martial art from the wrong country.

But you know that thing, that I guess I was associating with ninjas but maybe I should actually associate with kung fu, where a person does a nice high kick and then spins around and backfists a person from the other side? That thing. We were practicing that in kung fu yesterday (it was really more like: round kick, three punches, front kick, round kick, backfist, low kick, backfist, three punches, if you really want to know, which you don't), and there is something about whipping around like that, ponytail flying, that made me feel like I actually knew what I was doing, for perhaps the first time in kung fu.

Although not like a ninja, apparently, even though that is what my ignorant North American mind was thinking.

No comments: