30 June 2010

drama

One of the myriad blogs I read mentioned something about Kdrama, i.e. Korean tv shows, and now I am oddly addicted. I have never been to Korea, of course, and I don't know much about Korea, so I can't even tell you if the shows I am watching are supposed to be funny or dramatic. Maybe both?

I think they are hilarious, and I lean toward thinking they are intended to be, because there is so much slapstick in them. Girl gets hair stuck to new asphalt, for example, or women stand there shrieking and running in circles instead of away while a fake shaman beats them 30 times with a split stick. Then, too, there are the freeze frames on ridiculous, exaggerated expressions. I can almost see them written in the script: ACT REALLY SURPRISED.

The only series I have watched so far is The Woman Who Still Wants to Get Married (I am on episode 9). This is my new favorite tv show ever. I am probably going to weep when it's over. It's essentially the story of the why-aren't-you-married-don't-you-want-to-be-married-have-you-met-anyone-nice-lately-how-is-your-love-life-is-it-because-you-are-too-focused-on-your-career bullshit that single women get everywhere in the world. Perhaps it is more intense than the version single women get here in the US, but it's certainly less than we get in some places. (I haven't quite reached the age in the US where older people ask me "Why aren't you married?" but my single women friends five years older than me tell me it's coming. And in Rwanda I got that crap when I was 23.)

I also can't quite tell if the main character is supposed to be pretty and stylish or a little bit nerdy. Her one friend is the fashionable one, and her other friend the pretty one, and of course the main character actually is pretty, but I can't tell if she is supposed to be popular or just the regular girl next door.

I think I might have a crush on the main guy character, even though he is, I am not kidding, twenty years old. Sheesh. I'm thirty years old and already the cute guys are too young for me. Like all good actors, his talent is in his eyes. I can't even understand what he's saying, and still I believe him. And seriously, that smile. THAT SMILE.

The only problem is that they are subtitled, so I cannot multi-task while watching them. I actually have to pay attention. I am learning some Korean, though, by default. So far, I can answer the phone. "Yob-say-oh?"

No comments: