28 January 2009

minutiae

Well, hello, long-abandoned space. I've been EXTREMELY BUSY, you see.

Okay, that's a lie. I haven't been busy. I don't know what I've been doing for the last few days. Certainly nothing of value, although my itsy bitsy shoebox apartment does, upon observation, appear to be considerably cleaner than it was over the weekend. Go me.

I even managed to take down my Christmas tree. Yes, I left it up almost all the way through January. I did this for several reasons: 1. sheer laziness, 2. pretty lights, 3. I only had it up for six days before Christmas and didn't feel that I had gotten my $6.50 of enjoyment out of it yet. I kind of miss it now that it is in a box under my bed, but I have to keep the tree at least a little bit special. Otherwise next December will be rather tedious and just like the other 11 months of the year.

Also, I finally managed to get my television to Goodwill. I bought that television at Goodwill for $20, and then it somehow got off channel 3 and I've never been able to get it back on channel 3 so I can't use my cable that I pay for and the tv doesn't get any channels without cable, so it has generally been a huge space-suck for months. And let me tell you: a studio apartment approximately the size of a double hotel room does not have space for useless things. But Goodwill is fifteen blocks away, and fifteen blocks is a long walk with a television in your arms. (A tv, even a small one, does not fit into a backpack, by the way.) So finally I took advantage of the fact that a friend dropped by to drop off some magazines to get a ride over there. Now there is more space on my table. Unfortunately, that space already seems occupied by a profusion of papers. Hmph.

Then I bought some red plates to put under my rapidly-multiplying forest of plants. (I am, by the way, turning into my mom. Yay!) Here's the thing about Goodwill: these plates were actually more expensive there than they would have been at Ike@, or even at T@rget. But they were not created just for my consumption, and that makes me happier than brand new plates that cost a little less. It seems a little scary that new places can cost less than old ones. Because something was used to make those new plates, and fuel was used to transport them, and still they are less than the plates that were dropped off at Goodwill's door by someone who had already used them? All wrong.

And there you have it: EXTREMELY BUSY. Obviously. (Also, apparently, extremely boring.)

No comments: